Report recommends improvements to strata community living
Thank you for sharing your feedback on strata laws in NSW as part of the statutory review. It helped the NSW Government develop recommendations which will improve the lives of those of us who live and work in strata communities.
The report on the outcome of the statutory review of the Strata Schemes Development Act 2015 and Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 was tabled in NSW Parliament by the Hon. Kevin Anderson MP, Minister for Better Regulation and Innovation, on Monday, 29 November 2021.
Extensive feedback from across the community informed the report recommendations. We received more than 2,300 online survey responses and 230 submissions.
Key recommendations included in the report:
- new powers for NSW Fair Trading to order owners corporations to rectify common property defects to ensure the safety and amenity of strata buildings
- detailed minimum requirements in 10 year capital works fund plans
- changes to governance and disclosure arrangements to balance diverse interests in mixed use schemes
- digitising key strata records to save strata communities time, effort and money
- providing enhanced training for strata committees and streamlined mechanisms to resolve disputes.
We will continue to update this page to provide further information about the legislation to implement the recommendations and any further opportunities to have your say in 2022.
Access the report on the statutory review of the Strata Schemes Development Act 2015 and Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 (1.46 MB) (pdf)
New laws for pets in strata started on 25 August 2021
A report was also tabled in NSW Parliament in August 2021 on the review of the Strata Schemes Management Act, as it relates to the keeping of animals. The report sets out the public feedback we received as part of the pets in strata survey and explains how the 'unreasonable interference' circumstances included in the new regulation were developed.
The new laws about the keeping of animals in strata schemes in NSW started on 25 August 2021. These laws bring new requirements for owners corporations that recognise the changing nature of strata living and the increasing shift towards pet ownership.
To find out more information on the new laws mean for you, visit the NSW Fair Trading website.